Saturday, March 27, 2010

Electric Days

My friend's father who is an electrician is coming up this weekend and she volunteered him to come assist us with the electrical rough-in. It's a barter deal: I'm playing music at her wedding this August.
So we've been in electricity high-gear, studying codes and planning where we want switches, fixtures, etc.
As much as it can be an oppressively humongous project, building this house is so good for me when it teaches me how the parts of a house work. I can remember being a very young man and being disgusted by the idea of a stud-wall house. It seemed so deceptive to stuff everything into the empty walls and then cover it up with trim. Now I see the logic in it. I've been so corrupted I can even understand why someone might use (gulp, wince) vinyl siding.
So no building pictures today. But I'll post a couple photos which show how early spring looks here. The warm weather has been a few weeks ahead of schedule for a month now.
This hill is what we call Horsepoop Mountain. It's a 20 minute hike uphill from where we're staying now.


These are some baby irises that popped up last week. One of the friends we're staying with keeps a magnificent flower garden out our bathroom window. These are the first.


This link will take you to a page which really helped me understand the wiring rough-in.



Here are the electrical drawings. It feels a lot like I just turned in a research paper.









































This last photo shows the electrical plan as revised after the rough-in, just before insulating. You can click on it if you want to read the details.

2 comments:

  1. Unbelievably beautiful! I'm planning on coming up for the empty wall stuffing and maybe the "vinyl siding".
    Love ya'll, Teri

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive