Monday, June 14, 2010

Strawberries already

I didn't expect I'd be still working on the drain pipes in the middle of June. I hope that theme doesn't get too tiresome for you blog readers!

The pipes are going together well enough, though. It's a stinky job, fastening them together with solvent. But I wear a respirator and it's exciting to see it nearly done. Outside we're almost ready for shingles. The ledger boards (where future porches will attach) are up, and the trim around the downstairs windows is complete. Also I think we have our siding plan together at last. We have come back to the idea of using a preservative on the shingles, after having thought about it and looking around at other houses with mold on them. But we plan to use a less-toxic type called Cabot.

In other mental news, I think I have a solution for finishing the arched ceiling. Think overturned boat.

I sure like writing in this blog. When I'm in the middle of these projects it's easy to become caught up in the daily struggle and become obsessed about details. This is one great way to step aside and look at it as it is: some nice things to do, even if it is a boatload of nice things.

Seamus had his 4th birthday party in the new house. We asked him what kind of birthday party he wanted and he had no ideas---until a couple days before the day when his sister told him it would be his golden birthday, it being on the 4th. To this he said, "No, it's my purple birthday, and I'll have a purple crown and a purple cake. A train cake." We took note.

Here he is, kissing his cake.











He is such a happy child, and in a phase where random kisses or hugs are common, as well as saying "I love you" to anyone or anything ("I love you tree!") whenever the moment strikes him.
















Aya Jane has been working on a little garden out in the clearing where we park, with some help from her brothers. She has been bringing buckets of rich black muck from the creek's floodplain to mix into the sand and has peas, beans, pumpkins, sunflowers, a tomato, and I don't know what all else.
I don't know what Mossy's planting here. Those are lucky seeds though.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely. All lovely. Your offspring kind of bring a tear to my eye with their adorableness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kissing the cake! Yes!

    Love and peaceful sense of loads of hard work to you. We are in a mess of work here too, deconstructing and cleansing. Good match for us across the country-way. Go Team!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like so much fun. That purple birthday business is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive