Sunday, June 27, 2010

Shamphurgial Preconcertions

Oh baby the drain system is done. I think. There is one spot where the pipe is kind of crooked in the joint fitting. It's probably okay.

The to-do list is changing shape, becoming fathomable. Last week I had a mini freakout when someone asked me to do a concert in Big Bay's school gym (July 23rd). So I spent a few hours making a list of everything I plan to do this summer, and what it demands of me. It's still a busy time, but my worry machine is lulled to sleep for a while so I can enjoy life!

The new focus is the exterior. The blue wrapping paper we put on the house a year and a half ago has been unprotected way too long. The manufacturer's website says it starts to degrade after 120 days of direct sun. Under the shade of trees I think we have a little longer, but we're definitely pushing it.

So we're having a shingle party!
Labor day weekend, September 4th and 5th.
There are a few bands who've offered to come play. We'll make dancing space in the dance room.
Bring a tent, or find a spot in the house to camp.
There'll be food, beer and happy people all over the place.

If you want to come help get ready for the party, I'll be out there most Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from now until then. We have a door to hang, some windows to trim around, some roof braces to build, and so on. If you have a question, want directions or think of a name for this event, please post it here or send me a message by email. Some names suggested so far: Cedar Shingle Hootenany, Waitefest, Section 23 South Side Shingle Session...
I thought it might be nice to create a name that had not been made up yet, but that sounds like it means something, like Shamphurgium. "Will I see you at the Shamphurgium?"
"Yes, I look forward to it."

6 comments:

  1. How about "Shinuckle"? Sounds like a real thing. I also like South Side Shingle Session. I'm not sleeping because my racing list of things to get done in days is still racing. That is so strange for me. I knew where to turn for someone with a bigger list, and a calming voice.
    Love and shingles...oh! how about "Bliss on a Shingle". Heh.
    Maybe I'll go for sleeping now.
    Again, love...and cedar. "The Big Cedar Heater"
    I'll sleep on it, or dream about tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...you know, i just reread your list.


    And Shingling might win. That is a great word, sounds so merry. Or does it sound like a form of punishment? Although you might have to have Yuengling beer, at the shingling. You could tell people to bring some Yuengling, and a hammer, see you at the Shingling. I am really going to bed this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So weird, Nora. I first thought Shingling was perfection as well. Mostly because it is just really fun to say.
    Today I thought A Glorious Laborious was decent.
    But, yes Shingling.
    Love in your bed and all around you, E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic Idea! A Day of shingling sounds so much more fun when it has a name. Here are a few goofy ideas:

    CedarShakedownStreetFest
    The Shingle Mingle
    Cedar Shake Yer Booty Shindig

    This makes me think of a friend back home. His favorite expression, when left with nothing better to say, is, "Give it a name..."

    And you are.

    -TaraG

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive