Sunday, December 12, 2010

Rest in peace, Anniemoosh






Our dear dog has fallen victim to the snowy Big Bay road. She was twelve.

Last winter we witnessed that Annie was too deaf and blind to sense cars and so since then we've been keeping her on a leash unless we're out far from traffic. Now and then of course she'd get free and come back, and I regret to say we started letting her out on her own on occasion this past few months.








I picked her up from a sled dog farm in Skandia in August when she was about a year old and the people there had decided she wouldn't be much of a sled-puller. She had never been in a car or house and the first night wouldn't even stay in the house where we lived in Marquette. She and I slept in the backyard.

She never did get too civilized, in fact she was such a scrapper at parties that I used to joke to myself that she gives bitches a bad name. So we stopped taking her to parties and for the most part there was peace with the neighbor dogs.









An old dog dying seemed a small tragedy at first. But digging her grave yesterday was so sad. I sang the Bob Dylan song "He was a friend of mine" only saying "She" instead.

There's a shadow in our house where she used to be. When a piece of popcorn drops to the floor or when I get the urge to go outside before bed. It's just sad and that's that.



This picture is from a couple years ago when our neighbors' dog Alice was hit by a car.


Today we took our time saying goodbye before burying her body in a spot where we can plant an apple tree in the spring as a memorial. It's never easy to say goodbye to your loved ones, but we all felt better after talking about it together in a snowstorm.


She was a good dog. She never learned any tricks and didn't always come when called, but we lived harmoniously with her. When we were new in the woods and I often came home late and had to walk the last quarter mile in the dark, she would be there waiting for me in the driveway. She was a darn good dog.

5 comments:

  1. I can't help but think about her spending lots of time with us when you came down state to stay for a while when Aya was little. After that, it was though she knew we were family, even if she kept her distance. She was always greeting us as we entered "her" area of the woods, led/followed us to your house; as if she was our guide. I think about the time Annie came in to visit and Keely just happened to be on the receiving end of what I believe was Annie being startled; though so horrible, the bite that Keely had, I remember looking at Annie ~ a "I'm So sorry" look on her face....I can't help but say "Oh Annie ~ we know your gentle nature ~ we know you didn't mean to"
    I will miss her and always look for her to guide me down the last stretch of your road and lead me to your front door.
    Love you Anniemoosh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mike...
    The broken heart of a lost love is a slow mend.
    If I was there i'd give you a good man-hug and buy you a pint. (of whiskey)
    When I said good-bye to my old guy Murphy, I sang Dylan as well. "Go melt back in the night Murph, everything inside is made of stone...".
    She was a sweet old girl. Bitches got a lot to live up to.
    Sending you guys hugs all around.

    -Nate

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me cry. I am so sorry - my dog is 15 and I feel every bit of happiness and sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will miss Annie. I just loved the way she kept a shy, unassuming face on things....all the while, her eyes and ears leaned into the wilderness. Peace Annie.

    your mama

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing, this is a really sweet memorial. My dog passed away quietly at our home a little over a year ago and I still miss her every day. Glad that your family and Annie were able to share 12 wonderful years. Thinking of you in this tough time.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive